Our main goal here at of Iron & Oak is to prepare you aspiring young gentlemen for the grueling world you’ve stepped into. We want you to look good. We want you to live well. And we want you to be knowledgable on a variety of topics. Follow our Tips for Today’s Aspiring Gentlemen and you’ll soon become sprightly, respectable gentlemen in your own right. If you want, pretend as if Mad Men‘s Don Draper and co. are giving you these tips themselves. Not exactly gentlemen, they’ve led long lives full of debauchery, but they’ve learned a lot over the years.
In this series, you’ll find a selection of choice tips spanning several subjects. Some of these may sound familiar, maybe you’re father or grandfather mentioned them to you a long time ago. Some of the may sound completely new to you. Bottom line, we wish we knew some of these earlier on and hope you’ll continue to learn from future gentlemen tips to come.
PART III: GENTLEMANLY TIPS FOR BEING SOCIAL
1. Smile more. You’ll seem more approachable. Don’t scare people off with your scowl!
2. A gentleman doesn’t slouch. Stand tall.
3. Enunciate. A gentleman is well spoken.
4. Unless it’s an actual emergency, get off of your phone in the presence of company.
5. Be knowledgable, but not a know-it-all. Nobody likes a know-it-all.
6. Be confident, but not a showoff. A humbled man is an honorable man.
7. Never discuss your own personal finances. It’s nobody’s business but your own.
8. Don’t discuss politics. Few people enjoy it. Everyone fights. The event gets ruined.
9. Gentlemen are not bullies. Always stick up for the little guy.