Our main goal here at of Iron & Oak is to prepare you aspiring young gentlemen for the grueling world you’ve stepped into. We want you to look good. We want you to live well. And we want you to be knowledgable on a variety of topics. Follow our Tips for Today’s Aspiring Gentlemen and you’ll soon become sprightly, respectable gentlemen in your own right. If you want, pretend as if Mad Men‘s Don Draper and co. are giving you these tips themselves. Not exactly gentlemen, they’ve led long lives full of debauchery, but they’ve learned a lot over the years.
In this series, you’ll find a selection of choice tips spanning several subjects. Some of these may sound familiar, maybe you’re father or grandfather mentioned them to you a long time ago. Some of the may sound completely new to you. Bottom line, we wish we knew some of these earlier on and hope you’ll continue to learn from future gentlemen tips to come.
PART II: GENTLEMANLY TIPS ON STYLE & HYGIENE
1. A gentleman looks good but smells better. Never underestimate the power of scent.
2. That said, don’t marinate in your cologne. Cologne should be discovered…not advertised.
3. Trim your nails, style your hair and groom your facial hair, if applicable. You are not a bum.
4. Own at least one nice suit, a selection of quality shirts and ties, and a great pair of shoes.
5. Never wear sneakers with your suit. You are not Kanye West.
6. Match your clothes. Gym shorts, flip flops and your college hoodie aren’t cutting it anymore.
7. Being stylish doesn’t necessarily mean owning all the high-end brands.
8. Always look your best. You never know who you’re going to run into.
9. Confidence is your best accessory. (Submitted by Black Lapel)